Every fall, Scouting for Food is the Potomac District’s service project for the needy in Montgomery County. All food collected goes to Manna, a food bank serving Montgomery County, and is stored for use throughout the year. Potomac District Scouts contributed thousands of bags of food last year (over 9 tons of food), supplying the lion’s share of food utilized by Manna last winter for those in need. Let’s make this year’s collection the most successful yet!
Only canned, bagged and boxed goods are needed – no perishable groceries, opened containers, glass containers, frozen food, or paper or household goods, please. Please refer to Manna’s “Most Needed Foods List,” and even copy it for distribution with your bags if you like.
How to Participate:
- Thursday, November 2nd Pack Meeting–Get 10-20 empty bags (If you’re unable to attend, contact Veronica Bendit at 301-996-3280).
- Prepare a personal solicitation note (include your first name only, our unit number, mention that the donated food will go to the local food bank, the date you will pick-up, thanks for helping).
- Saturday morning, November 4th–Distribute bags to your neighbors. It’s best to go with a buddy from the troop or a parent. Knock on the door and explain the procedure, or leave the bag and your note on the doorknob. Do not put bags in mailboxes, and do not enter a home for any reason. Again, if other scouts live in your neighborhood, coordinate with them to divide up the territory. You can suggest that they leave any donations on their front doorstep on Saturday morning, November 11th, by no later than, say, 10 a.m.
- Keep a written list of where you left bags!
- Saturday morning, November 11th–drive around with a parent and pick up the bags that people have left out, or knock on the door to ask if they have filled the bag (some people will forget, but will fill it for you as you wait.) It’s a nice idea to leave a thank-you note for those who have left bags out.
- Saturday morning, November 11th from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.–Bring your donated bags to the Giant parking lot at Georgetown Square (far corner of the Giant parking lot at Old Georgetown Rd and Rock Spring Dr). Bradley (Wolf) and Veronica Bendit will receive your donated bags and log them into a master list. Be sure to give your name, unit number and number of bags collected. If you are not able to get to Giant by 11 a.m., you can bring the bags directly to the Bolger Center (off of Democracy Blvd) parking lot until 2:00 p.m. The Bolger Center (9600 Newbridge Dr., Potomac, MD 20854) is the Potomac District pick-up site.
Safety Tips to Remember:
Always look both ways when crossing the street.
Never travel alone- take a friend or parent.
Never go into a home.